When the Austin and Northwestern Railroad first laid rails through Bertram in 1882, the original Bertram depot was constructed on this site and served railroad passengers until the end of passenger service in 1937.
The depot was demolished in 1964, and the site sat vacant through the 1990s. The George Peters family of Sandia, Texas donated a vintage 1912 San Antionio & Aransas Pass depot from Orange Grove, Texas to the Austin Steam Train Association in 1997.
ASTA volunteers moved that depot to this site in March of 1998 and have accurately restored it over a five year period. Thanks to their hard work and dedication the old depot has come back to life and now serves the passengers of the Austin & Texas Central Railroad's Flyer trains.
The cast iron and wood bench inside the Depot is an original relic of the first Bertam Depot. The SA & AP depot original counter was not salvageable, so an exact replica was crafteted ASTA volunteers out of long leaf pine flooring salvaged from a 100-year old Bertram house.